13 December 2007

merry christmas...new zealand!

I sent a T&T package off to New Zealand this week. Too cool that New Zealanders know about T&T! I hope some little precious kiddos love all the board games that are coming their way...all the way from Ohio, across the ocean, a little jump from Australia, and under their tree on Christmas morning!
This got me to thinking...what is Christmas like in other countries. I remember learning about it in 4th grade, but quite a lot in my world has happened since then, that I do apologize, but I can't recall the differences... So I took a quick search on google...

New Zealand...Christmas is based liked ours, but much different than ours in weather... it coincides with summer break so "when are we headed to the beach" is also on their minds! Many of them have Christmas Dinner celebrations over BBQ as of late! Meri Kirihimete!

Then in Bethlehem where it all began...Christmas Eve is celebrated with an annual procession..."galloping horsemen and police mounted on Arabian horses lead the parade. They are followed by solitary horseman carrying a cross and sitting astride a coal-black steed." Many others follow and they solemnly end up at the church. Down winding stairs at the church can be found a silver star marking the site of the birth of Jesus.

If you'd like to find out more about how other countries celebrate Christmas check out here ...and here ... {unless of course YOU remember it still from 4th grade!}

{ image borrowed from newzealand.com }

No comments: